Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Is Grandma In The Kitchen?


My Grandma who raised me from age 4 was a very kind Christian woman.We lived on a farm so there was always too much work to be done.Canning and cooking when water had to be carried up from the creek was especially trying not to mention doing the family wash.She always found time to help any of the neighbors who might be sick,cook a big noon meal on Sunday when most of her 6 children and their families might come to visit, and to read aloud to us by the lamplight at night.She worked hard all her life and was much adored by all who knew her.She was a strong and independent woman.

When my mother remarried I had to go live with her and my new father in a city about 4 hours away.We visited about every six weeks for the Sunday Dinner.My aunt and her family lived with "Granny and Gramp." and took care of them for their remaining years.In those later years, Granny developed Parkinson's along with some heart difficulties. She did not let that stop her and my kindly aunt understood.

Although it might take her hours,Granny carefully washed and put away the silverware after the meal.Hands shaking so she might only manage one or two pieces at a time,she worked on.It hurt my Aunt Sally to watch but she knew it was important to her mother to be able to do something around the house.

Several weeks after her death,on a weekend I happened to be there. we heard a lot of banging from the kitchen.Aunt Sal and I hurried in to see what was going on, but it was not the kids.The silverware drawer was banging closed as it opened and closed.Then as we stood wide eyed, the dishes came floating out of the cabinet and on to the table.The six places we would need for breakfast were set.It then got quiet again.

The next day, it happened again for the Sunday Dinner with the twelve places set since we were expecting additional family to come.

My Grandpa who would not often acknowledge it had psychic abilities as did one of my aunts.We told him about it and that we thought it was Granny.Later that day as I was bringing in some drinking water from the spring, I found Gramp in the kitchen sitting at the table.This was most unusual as he never did that other than at mealtime.His head was bowed.Thinking he was praying,I quietly set down the bucket and stood there.Then, I heard him say softly, "It's OK Norrie.We are getting along.We do miss you."He got up abruptly and left for a walk.

There were no more sounds or table settings after that...

4 comments:

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing. :)

Tia Colleen said...

I totally just got chills.

Sometimes my 2 year old daughter will say things that my Grams used to say, and it always catches me so off guard. "what did you just say?". Or she'll point to a dark haired heavy set woman, and say "grandma". I had never even used the word grandma, so sometimes it makes me wonder...

UniqueNurseGranny said...

Thank you so much for your comments.

Rosebud Collection said...

Something like this always makes me feel so sad..Very hard to understand this life/afterlife..