Saturday, August 15, 2009

Stalking Irish Madness


In my work life I had a special interest in Schizophrenia.Often my coworkers would call me to the ER saying "She speaks Schizophreneze".In fact I did have a talent picking up often on the symbolic themes and feelings the troubled souls were expressing.This book sounds fascinating to me.The review and comments:

"A number of Patrick Tracey's relatives suffer from schizophrenia, and in his book Stalking Irish Madness, he goes on a quest to his family's ancestral land in Ireland to trace the legacy of their illness. While delving into scientific explanations, he also explores the lore of fairies, who according to myth can capture people's minds.



I am so thoroughly enjoying this book, even though my heart breaks on each page. Tracey has researched farther back than I could even fathom tracing my own family tree. His tales about his family are interesting and so well told that I can see the houses. I feel as if I know the great-grandmother, I can almost feel her pain.

He describes schizophrenia in words that I have never heard before. It has opened another level of understanding. The horror that is losing someone in the blink of an eye, having them replaced with a different person, is terrifying. I found myself checking my age versus the statistics, wondering if my own children are safe.

My heart goes out to him for all of his tragedy. But I do so appreciate his ability to put it into words and on paper for everyone to experience
By Wild Irish Rose (47359) ...
I really hope the APA asks Mr. Tracey to speak at the next convention as this book is one of the best I've read about how mental illness impacts a family--the range of emotions from survivor's guilt to denial, anger and fear. Who will be next to fall from the family tree and how can we save them?

I prefer this memoir over the McCourt memoirs for its intellectual and introspective pursuit of knowledge via Irish history and science. I get the feeling that in another life, Mr. Tracey would be the scientist who unlocks the genetic code that solves the mystery.

Stalking Irish Madness: Searching for the Roots of My Family's Schizophrenia (Hardcover)
by Patrick Tracey (Author)

No comments: