Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Founder of the Near Death Experience Research Foundation, Dr. Jeffrey Long shared the most compelling evidence to date for the reality of near-death experiences (NDEs), and their consistent message that there is an afterlife.
" Having studied over 1300 NDE cases, he noted that the reports are remarkably consistent worldwide, even those from non-Western countries. NDEs typically may include out-of-body travel, seeing a tunnel and mystical light, encounters with deceased relatives, and a life review.
Here are some of the highlights of the consistent patterns/evidence he's found:
* The level of consciousness and alertness during NDEs is usually even greater than that experienced in everyday life even though NDEs generally occur when a person is unconscious or clinically dead.
* What NDErs see and hear of earthly events in the out-of-body state is almost always realistic, such as what is going on around them at the hospital.
* Heightened senses are often reported, such as seeing with 360 degree vision. Several people who have been totally blind since birth have reported highly visual near-death experiences.
* Life reviews in NDEs include real events that previously took place in the lives of those having the experience, even if the events were forgotten, in a kind of "perfect playback."
* During a NDE, the people encountered are virtually always deceased. Were the NDE only a product of memory fragments, they would almost certainly include far more living people, including those with whom they had more recently interacted.
* The near-death experiences of children, including very young children are essentially identical to those of older children and adults, arguing against the idea of cultural pre-conditioning.
* NDErs often report seeing heavenly or unearthly realms, with colors and sights that defy description...}
Dr. Jeffrey Long (pictured) has co-authored a new book, Evidence of the Afterlife, which shares firsthand accounts of those who have died and lived to tell about it.