Thursday, April 24, 2008

IN THE LIGHT, By ELEANOR GILPATRICK




This is a feature from an Etsy Artist centered about one of her pieces.You may see her work at her Etsy store.Some are included in the video.

Now retired from the faculty at Hunter College, her previous creative research, study, and teaching could give way to her first love,painting.She incorporates her travels as well.

She read about Etsy in the NY Times.but did not really expect to sell her art on line where it would not be seen in person.
However to her delight a painting sold.She is involved in Etsy and appreciates the community.

Her favorites to paint are landscapes,people caught unaware,especially children in her life.She says "But I just finished a series of 9 paintings about the war. They contrast our peaceful places at home with the terror in Iraq. The nine "In The World" pieces are on display at my website: http://www.gilpatrickart.com/gallery3_featured_series/art_gallery3.htm
and will be in my solo show in May (details are on my Etsy shop page)."Her Etsy shop is http://Egilpatr.etsy.com

When asked what were her thoughts about the supernatural,Elenor said:
"I use the concept of the spiritual, not supernatural, because supernatural has a distorted history of usage. I have gone through being an agnostic, to atheism, to a spiritual path I found that opened me up to the concept that consciousness is primary and matter secondary. That turned me upside down. Later I explored my Judaism by looking at Kabala. I have not been able to submmit to being a member of any specific group for long (organizations are so....you know...), but I know there is a spiritual reality out there, and when I open to it, it moves my life richly forward. As a scientist I know that science has not been open to looking at dimensions it cannot deal with in its old paradigm. I do not paint the themes of the supernatural; but my spirit is what drives me to celebrate beauty and love; and the awe and terror of reality."
In the Light is based on the architecture of the Mosque of the Sokollu Mehmet Pasha in Istanbul, and is a statement about inter-faith peace.

I was in Istanbul with friends on September 11, 2001. We were due to see this little gem by Sinan the next day. Still devastated, we asked to climb upstairs in the empty mosque, and each of us meditated or prayed in his/her own way.

As it happened, the three were Jewish, Christian, and Muslim; the experience was nourishing. I began to think about the way this experience made a statement about what was possible in the world.

The Christian Church of Hagia Sophia, built by Justinian when the city was Constantinople, was the model for the mosques that were built after the Ottoman conquest. Under the Ottomans, Jews were welcome and flourished, taking their architectural style for Synagogues from the local practice.

So the little mosque in the painting could have housed any of the religions, except that the location of the Mihrab would differ a few degrees from that of a sanctuary. In the painting, light streams in through the windows, and in the lower interior the symbols of the three faiths are united in the light.

Acrylic on stretched canvas. Dimensions are 30 x 26 inches; framed dimensions are 32 x 27; $900. Free shipping.

No comments: