Monday, July 28, 2008

The Difference Between Spiirits and Ghosts...Beginning Thoughts


A study several years ago which I saw but can not reference, said that three of every five people believe in or have seen ghosts in the US alone.Spirits and ghosts are reported in all countries of the world within all cultures and religions.

It is generally accepted that the ghost is an earthbound spirit.Most feel that the ghost has not "gone to the light" or "gone on to the other side" but is bound to a particular locale for whatever reasons..Some of the reasons may include a strong attraction to or investment in a particular place;a desire for revenge;seeking a lost love or a sudden unexpected and unrecognized death.

Now, it is not uncommon to see several programs on TV where mediums communicate with the dead.Many are quite moving and seem real to any observer.Usually the receiver of the messages, whether previously a believer or not, ends up because of the specific nature of the mediums message as a believer.This exposes thousands of persons who might not otherwise have had such contact with this process.No studies yet indicate what difference this makes in the number of believers in communication with the dead.It remains a process highly criticized by skeptics as the exchange with BW and JP on The View last week demonstrates.

Anyway, it is possible to believe in spirits and life after death without believing in communication with the spirits of the dead.I think it is possible to believe in ghosts without believing in communication with the dead.I do not know what those who do not believe in God think about spirit communication or ghosts.
Neither do I know whether they might believe in Reincarnation but guess that it would be more likely than believing in spirit communication.
However,I wonder how they explain Past Life Regressions or if that is a write off in their book.... What about place memories?

I would like to know and hope some might share their views about it.What do you think?Can you believe in Ghosts and not believe in God?Can you believe in Past Lives and not believe in God?What happens when a person who does not believe in God sees a spirit or a ghost?...Tell me.

Any way, these thoughts stopped me going on about the differences between spiiirits and ghosts that I read recently.Will do that next time....

5 comments:

UniqueNurseGranny said...

Thank you.I appreciate your comment.

Rosebud Collection said...

You know, I say this all the time..I keep my mind open to it all..Reincarnation, I don't like the thought of..Only because I am trying so hard to get it right this time, don't want a repeat..I do believe in God, so I am not sure my comment would count. Anyway, a good read, as usual..

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading about the ghost/spirit differences.
As always, your blogging just fascinates me.

Shannon Maxey said...

I have known people who believed in ghosts and not a higher power. Their parents were of a faith that had a strong belief in heaven and hell, but they themselves did not believe, yet they had experiences they couldn't explain.

If memory serves, in the book about after-death communication called Love Beyond Life by Joel Martin and Patricia Romanowski, there are instances of people who do not believe in After-Death Communication having had ADC's. While being comforted by them, they were not eager to share their experiences with friends and family.

I'm very interested in the origins and scope of consciousness. Some believe consciousness is limited to this life, only a by-product of the brain. I don't think so. Serious science is now studying consciousness and I'm eager for their results.

UniqueNurseGranny said...

Thank you for your comments.Helen and Rosebud you are always open minded.I appreciate your visits and comments.
Sharon thank you for visiting and leaving such in depth views and the reference.I will see if I can locate it.Hope you will come again and /or share more of your knowledge.