Friday, October 3, 2008

Meekiyua's experience


Meeikua shared her story recently.She is an artist from Etsy .Some of her work is in the video.You will probably want to go to her shop and see more as well as find out about her blog.
She says about herself and her work,"Currently I’m a part time student and part time receptionist but full time artist.

Meekiyu are the name of the tiny origami people who like you are moms! dads! grandparents! guys and gals! kiddies! teenies! and all in betweenie.Everyone has a lil Meekiyu unique for them!
Where did i come up with the name Meekiyu?
Mee is the first name of my dear grandma... kiyu is yuki mixed up which means snow.

Meekiyu was a spark as the last piece of art I would make in an art auction. After making a few they captured my imagination as I went on a frenzy making small Meekiyus of my friend and families. I strung them to make as key chains and decorations and soon this lead to their images on handmade canvas bags.
To me what makes Meekiyus different from my other art is that there is consistency but yet each Meekiyu was obviously different. I feel the origami paper and let my hand draw the face and a little personality is developed. Some are quiet, some are loud, some are mischievous and all the zillions facets of what each person is. Under the guidance of my mom and the old sewing machine, I craft each bag and draw each Meekiyu. As for their personal characters I’ll let you guys figure it out."
Her shop is found at
http://meekiyua.etsy.com


Her story in her own words
"oo i love scary stories... so I'll share one

since i was young i had always seen ghosts... not the sixth sense sort of way but they were not figments of my imagination. This one isn't really a scary story per say... but last year my grandma had passed away and during those weeks was horrible and i was numb.
One night i had a dream... my grandma was there and asked me "Are you warm?" it was something she always ask me during the winter because she's always afraid i would catch a cold. I remembered nodding. She smiled and disappeared into this light.
After that day I've never been worried or depressed over her death because i knew very well she was in a nice place. Was it real or just my own subconscious? I'd let you decide... "

Such a loving Grandmother and Granddaughter.Thank you.

2 comments:

LiPeony said...

you guys did a fantastic job =D... thanks helping me honor my grams.. she was the best =D!

UniqueNurseGranny said...

Thank you Meekiyua for sharing your story.